Michael J. Petrizzi, M.D. Assistant professor, Department of Family Medicine and Population Health
Office information and hours
VCU Sports Medicine Clinic
1300 West Broad Street, Suite 113
Richmond, Virginia 23284
For appointments, call (804) 828-0713
- Fellowship: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Residency: Family Medicine UNC North Carolina Memorial Hospital
- Medical school: State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center
- Undergraduate study: Adelphi University
- Primary care sports medicine
- Non Operative sports medicine
- Running injuries
- Sports injuries
- Family medicine
Board certification and licensure
- Licensed, Commonwealth of Virginia Board of Medicine
- Board certified, American Board of Family Medicine, CAQ in Sports Medicine
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, charter member
- Richmond Academy of Medicine
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Virginia Academy of Family Physicians
Dr. Petrizzi serves as a team physician for VCU and has served as the Atlee High School team physician since it opened in 1991. He has taken his passion to insure that high school scholar athletes can participate in their sports in the safest environment possible, and has co-developed the SMART (Sideline Management Assessment Response Techniques) Workshop. He also serves on the VHSL Sports Medicine Advisory Committee, its sub-committee on concussion as well as on the Hanover County Concussion Management Team. Dr. Petrizzi serves as the chairman of the High School Team Physician Task Force for the AMSSM and for the Sports Medicine Task Force for the VAFP. He presents at the annual meetings of the American Academy of Family Physicians, Virginia Academy of Family Physicians, American Medical Society of Sports Medicine and the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, and teaches for the National Procedure Institute.
Dr. Petrizzi has served as conference chairman of the VCU Sports Update in Primary Care since the first meeting in 1995 to the present. Last year’s meeting was held at the Kingsmill Resort on Dec. 6-8.
Dr. Petrizzi’s research focuses on the development of the SMART Workshop as a method to increase the number of high schools that will have a team physician.
The following list includes publications by Dr. Petrizzi through 2012:
- Strayer, Scott, Petrizzi, M.J., Reece, Steve, “Fractures of the Proximal 5th Metatarsal”, “American Family Physician”, Vol. 59, No. 9, May 1, 1999
- Petrizzi, Michael J., Petrizzi, Mark G., “Making a Tension Night Splint for Plantar Fasciitis”, “The Physician and Sports medicine”, Vol. 26, No. 6, June 1998
- Petrizzi, Michael J., Petrizzi, Mark G., “Making an Ulnar Gutter Splint for a Boxer’s Fracture”,“The Physician and Sports medicine”, Vol. 27, No. 1, January 1999
- Petrizzi, Michael J., Petrizzi, Mark G., Miller, Allen, "A Three-Way Splint for Acute Ankle Injury,"The Physician and Sports medicine", Vol 28, No 6, June 2000
- Shahady, E.J., Petrizzi, M.J., editors, “Sports Medicine for Coaches and Trainers”, 1st and 2nd Ed., The University of North Carolina Press, 1987, 1991.
- Petrizzi, M.J., Chapter entitled “Foot Injuries”, “Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Physician”, 2nd Ed., CRC Press, 1994.
- Petrizzi, M.J., Chapter entitled “The Foot”, “Sports Medicine for Primary Care”, 2nd Ed., Blackwell Science, 1996.
- Petrizzi, Mark G., Petrizzi, Michael J., “The Clinics Atlas of Office Procedures, Casting and Splinting of Soft-Tissue Injuries and Fractures”, September 2002.
- Birrer, Richard, Cataletto, Mary, Griesmer, Bernard, editors, Petrizzi, Michael J., contributing author, “Sports Medicine, Pearls of Wisdom”, Boston Medical Publishing Corp., September 2002.
- Petrizzi, M.J., Richardson, Dante`, Chapter entitled “The Foot”, “Sports Medicine for Primary Care”, 3nd Ed., Blackwell Science, July 2004.
- Birrer, Richard, Cataletto, Mary, Griesmer, Bernard, editors, Petrizzi, Michael J., contributing author, “Sports Medicine, Pearls of Wisdom, Second Edition, Boston Medical Publishing Corp., January 2006.
- Petrizzi, M.J., Chapter entitled “The Foot”, “Primary Care of Musculoskeletal Problems in the Outpatient Setting”, 2006.
- Pfenninger and Fowler’s Procedures for Primary Care, Petrizzi, Michael J. Section Editor
Eiff Fracture Management for Primary Care, Petrizzi, Michael J. contributing author, Appendix Casting Techniques Step by Step Photos
- SMART Sideline Management Assessment Response Techniques DVD an Instructional DVD for Physicians involved with High School Athletes