William A. Jiranek, M.D. Professor
Office information and hours
Stony Point Orthopaedic Clinic
9000 Stony Point Parkway
For appointments, call (804) 228-4155
Mondays, 4 to 6 p.m.
Tuesdays 4 to 6 p.m.
Wednesdays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Dr. William A. Jiranek specializes in treating arthritis of the hip and knee and the early treatment of hip and knee disorder. He also focuses on minimally invasive and computer-assisted surgical practices.
Board certification and licensure
- Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellowship: Massachusetts General/Harvard University Combined Orthopaedic Program
- Residency: Tufts University Combined Orthopaedic Program
- Medical school: University of Virginia School of Medicine
- Undergraduate study: Princeton University
Dr. Jiranek is a member of the Hip Society, American Orthopaedic Association, Orthopaedic Research Society, Virginia Orthopaedic Society, Richmond Orthopaedic Club and the Southern Orthopaedic Association. He also is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
In 2003, Dr. Jiranek was elected to the American Orthopaedic Association, and in 2002, he was elected to the Hip Society. Also in 2002, he established the ACGME Accredited Adult Reconstruction Fellowship and was the section editor for Orthopaedic Knowledge Online.
Dr. Jiranek’s research focuses on tissue-guided restoration of articular cartilage of the knee, joint infections and the immune response to biomaterials.
- Jiranek W. Antibiotic-loaded cement in total hip replacement: current indications, efficacy, and complications. Orthopaedics. 2005 Aug;28(8 Suppl):s873-7. PMID: 16119731 [PubMed – in process].
- Jiranek W. Thermal manipulation of bone cement. Orthopaedics. 2005 Aug;28(8 Suppl):s863-6. PMID: 16119729 [PubMed – in process].
- Qiu J, Beckman MJ, Qian J, Jiranek W. Simultaneous labeling of mast cell proteases and protease mRNAs at the bone-implant interface of aseptically loosened hip implants. J Orthop Res. 2005 Jul;23(4):942-8. PMID: 15072256 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE].
- Noble AR, Branham DB, Willis MC, Owen JR, Cramer BW, Wayne JS, Jiranek WA. Mechanical effects of the extended trochanteric osteotomy. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005 Mar;87(3):521-9. PMID: 15741617 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE].
- Caldwell PE, Bohlen BA, Owen JR, Brown MH, Harris B, Wayne JS, Jiranek WA. Dynamic confirmation of fixation techniques of the tibial tubercle osteotomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004 Jul;(424):173-9. PMID 15241161 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE].
View listing of recent publications on PubMed.